Total Pageviews

Thursday, August 12, 2010

Caroline Wedding Update: Colors and a Dress!


Okay, so I have posted in the past that I chose my colors -- pink and burgundy. It is one thing to pick colors... it is another thing to match them to colors offered by bridal salons! And colors look different online than in person -- beware! I was having trouble finding the exact shades of pink and burgundy that I liked. I then floated in between pinks and purples, finding myself hovering over a deep lapis purple for a while, which I did truly like. But there are less options when it comes to purple flowers and I love pink flowers -- it was a conundrum.

I decided to put that aside and shop for my own dress. I went to a very nice bridal salon (which will remain unnamed) and found so many dresses that I loved. And let me tell you -- not everyone has a "Eureka!" moment. I didn't. With every new dress I would try on, I'd think of how it could shape the theme of the wedding. Do I want something classy and ultra-formal for a nighttime wedding, or something a bit aery-er and light, perfect for a garden wedding? It was a tough choice, but I ended up going with an organza dress and a cathedral veil (longer than I am tall!) so it's perfect for a garden wedding, but it still has the high drama for a nighttime wedding. Plus, its not your typical dress. It's a piece of art and nothing ordinary. You will not see someone in a dress like this again. It's perfect.

Anyways, I am going to get my bridesmaid dresses from the same store I am getting my dress from. Because I kept thinking the pink bridesmaid dresses I was finding were too dark or too "bubblegum-y" (for lack of a better word), I decided to look away from pink. Burgundy, on the other hand, was too drab and dark for summer. That's when it hit me that I needed something that was neither of these colors.

That's how I came to pewter. Yep, gray. What is more boring and drab than gray, right? BUT with a black four tulle rose sash that ties in a bow in the back - the dresses are the epitome of elegance and are very dramatic, and will be against the garden scene with pink and burgundy flowers. I fell in love. The one thing I told myself I wanted to avoid when getting married this young was having a very youthful bright wedding. I want something mature and extremely elegant, and very formal. Not something playful. Something dramatic with flair. I think I have found that!

Since my dress has some elements of flower petals and/or feathers (depends on how you look at it) I think I am going to play up on the soft, romantic, yet rustic garden look... and have maybe some bird motifs and/or antique bird cages to hold flowers, cards, and candles.

No comments:

Post a Comment