Total Pageviews

Friday, March 12, 2010

Venue Spotlight: Oatlands

One of the many gaint old trees in Oatlands
4 acres of land and gardens
Place: Oatlands in Leesburg, VA
Price: $5000 base (of which 80% is tax deductible because its a historic preservation site) + cost of tent ~ $1700 - 2000 so puts it about $6700 - 7000
Thoughts: I REALLY like Oatlands. Not just for it's pretty lands, but for it's part in my past. I use to run cross country meets here - it was my favorite course! Also, after my AP US
History group impressed the Journey through Hallowed Ground (JTHG) folks and got an internship, I attended a press conference by the governor at Oatlands to hear about the JTHG preservation program. I don't know what it is about the historical component I like, but this has it, and it has personal meaning to me too. There are still caveats though; the mansion isn't really used in weddings. Guests can tour it in between the ceremony and the reception. And the reception is outside, under a tent. Hm. I did intially want a garden wedding though so I think that's why Oatlands appeals to me so much. As long as the weather is good (crossing my fingers already) I don't think an outdoor reception would be so bad. Plus, if rain is in the forecast, I can always get the siding for the tent (complete with windows). Also, they have a deal with Landsdowne for hotel room blocks, and that would be such a nice place to put up guests. The other two had deals with Comfort Inn (which also included a complementary ride over) that is pretty ideal - I'm sure Landsdowne has a van that could shuttle too, I might just have to pay. Hrm. But overall, I think I am leaning toward Oatlands. After this post I'll add some professional wedding pics (a lot!) that really show Oatlands in all it's summer splendor!

View of the gardens coming from the mansion

Where the ceremony is held; they are already

preparing it for spring and summer!



Garden teahouse where string quartet or harpist plays

(note proximity to where bride and groom are standing)

Side view of Garden Teahouse, ceremony is on other side

View from Rose garden, just one of the many areas of the land

1 comment:

  1. Don't forget to get a tent floor!! I went to a wedding at Oatlands and it rained, the ground was so soggy :(

    ReplyDelete