Total Pageviews

Sunday, July 31, 2011

Wedding Advice: Flowers



Planning timeline
Contact your florist at 3 months in advance, and if you're getting married in the busy season (June!), want something very elaborate, or on a holiday -- then 6-12 months is more appropriate. I ended up contacting my florist only about 3 months in advance. If you are really type A and want to see samples, then earlier is better. Surprisingly I did not end up getting samples made... the way I see it is you may be paying premium to see those flowers out of season and you don't want to be disappointed when the final product doesn't look like the sample. Something important to realize when getting flowers out of their peak season (or at the very beginning or end) -- they will look different! Peonies in early June look very different from peonies in July (which are hard to find anyways) and even different than in late June. They are smaller and not as lush. So keep that in mind!

Suggestions
-Trust your florist! Also understand that big full blooms means $$$. I've noticed a lot of people do not realize the time, effort, and individual flower costs that go into making floral arrangements so find a florist that will make your money worth it (but keep realistic expectations). Also trust your florist when she says something is out of season or at the end of its season so it may be very expensive or not available at all. A good florist will give you alternative flower suggestions that are cheaper or in season.

-Let flowers do double duty. I actually did not end up doing this but I saw a great idea -- if you want to have flowers at the end of every aisle (I opted for a lower cost petal aisle lining instead) do them in cute ribbon tied pales that can be taken and placed around the cocktail hour or reception venue. Never have a set look in mind and adjust as necessary to fit within your budget. I received quotes on three of the following aisle decors: petal lining, end of aisle flower bundles (like the pales I mentioned), and pomander balls. Not surprisingly, the price increasing dramatically from petal lining to pomander balls (also very dependent on number of rows/length of aisle). Since I was adament on having an arch to act as a natural frame for pictures of my husband and I at the top of the aisle, I went with the petal lining and it still gave me a pretty effect! Splurge on the important items and save on what's less important.

What arrangments I ordered
When you think it out... there can be a lot of uses for flowers, and you have to pick and choose what you really want or need. I LOVE flowers (I did get married in a garden!) so I wanted them everywhere.
  • 1 large bridal bouquet, one bridal toss bouquet: white peonies with a vintage gold champagne wrap
  • 8 smaller bridesmaids bouquets: light pink, dark pink, and lavender mix of peonies, garden roses, dahlias, and lithianthus
  • 1 flower girl flower headband: asked for spray roses and ranunculus, florist had to use lithianthus, spray rose, and leaves (ranunculus difficult to get; it's a springtime flower)
  • 17 boutonierres: 1 double white ranunculus bout for groom, 8 double pink ranunculus bouts for groomsmen, 8 white rose bouts for both sets of parents, 4 grandparents
  • 1 ceremony arch: light pink, dark pink, and lavender flowers with greenery on arch (peonies, roses, sweet pea) **MY FAVORITE! I wanted this to frame the ceremony and the kiss! And boy did it look great.
  • 1 cursive "L": hot pink carnations, on garden gate between cocktail hour and reception
  • 5 small displays for cocktail hour high tables: vintage glasses with mixed flowers (my typical - peonies, roses, dahlias, lithianthus, sweet pea, etc.)
  • 12 centerpieces, 5 high centerpieces, 7 low centerpieces: low centerpieces were in gold footed vases, with my typical flowers (favorite element: fresh lavender spriggs sticking out), high centerpieces were in giant glass fluted vases with branches inside, a flower mass atop, and branches coming out of the flower display with butterflies in them (my motif!). Still vintage-y and romantic but with a twist! 
small cocktail hour flower arrangements, low cost but high impact!


cursive "L" for Languasco - on my "had to have" list! Monograms are so in right now :)

the tall centerpieces


No comments:

Post a Comment