Total Pageviews

Sunday, July 31, 2011

Wedding Advice: Registry

My favorite registry items from Macy's & BBB

Planning timeline
You cannot get this up early enough! I put mine up so incredibly late. I shouldn't even say how late (okay, I will... like a month before - gasp! I was so. busy.). In retrospect, for my June wedding I should have had my registry up in late November/early December. Sometimes grandparents and other relatives want to know about the registry that far in advance because they can get you a christmas (or birthday depending on your timeline) present off your registry -- double duty! Especially if you have something like luggage listed on your registry.

Suggestions
-I would recommend registering at two places. I had always thought about doing three but I really couldn't think of enough items I needed or wanted to fill three registries. If you have 200+ people on your list though... you may want to consider 3 places!

-MACY'S. MACY'S. MACY'S. It is an absolute must! They have great completion sales after the wedding (10%, 20% in July/August!!) and such a good selection. Guests also like buying things from here because the quality is super nice but fairly affordable. They keep a record of everything guests purchase so if you lose track then they have all the info backed up (not that you would ever...)! Interesting fact: I couldn't figure out who got me one of the items, and I also never received it. I felt so bad! I had them print out the list -- turns out someone bought me something, the registry updated, and then they returned it and bought something else. The registry did not update! I am going to assume that is a system-wide problem... and something to be aware of. Oh, and the bride & groom will know who bought and returned stuff too (just something to keep in mind!).

-Now that you have chosen Macy's ;), what to select as your second registry? It really depends on your personality and style, and what you already have as a couple. I chose Bed Bath and Beyond because I had invited a lot of Charlottesville guests and I wanted them to have a near-by option since guests sometimes like to see the items in person. Turns out this registry did not get as much attention... I think that people preferred to pick things off the Macy's registry because they thought it would be a nicer gift. Hey, they sell Le Creuset at both BBB & Macy's! I will make little photo collages from all the top registries I can think of and you can take a little quiz of where you think you'd want to register!

-Make sure all your items go together harmoniously. My kitchen colors are crimson and ivory (AKA red and off-white :). I love vintage romantic styles with just a hint of modern lines. My cooking style is all about presentation (I'm still working on the making it taste good part!).

-Not everyone will get you a gift. It may be a little disappointing but you need to remember it is NOT REQUIRED and that those people should still get a thank you card (send out no later than 3 months post-wedding, although guests may get you a gift up to a year after, according to the wedding authorities, whoever they may be)!! *Advised: I ended up being too lazy/busy/I don't know what... I only ended up writing cards to those who gave me a gift. I am glad everyone else came, though!! Be thankful for what you got and remember there are always completion sales :) Also, I totally believe the wedding party shouldn't have to get you anything. Think of what they have already spent on your wedding... and their presence up there at the altar with you is the best gift of all.

No comments:

Post a Comment